Sunday, October 7, 2007

push and pull

A few days ago my manager asked me how many people had signed up for QL L2.0. At the time it was about 60 -- now we're at 70 -- and she seemed disappointed for me.

Replicating the program from PLCMC required such a minimum of effort that I am pleased with the numbers so far. However, that doesn't stop me from pushing the program on everyone I encounter. The new labor relations manager came to hang out at my library as part of his Library 101 training. I handed him a flyer and said, "I couldn't help but notice you hadn't signed up yet." I have no shame. I have managed to hold myself back from sending encouraging e-mails to folks I've met from trainings, Sunday service, and various meetings. When I start my new librarian training at the end of October, I will be suggesting the program to my fellow newbies.

Before QL L2.0 launched, I made a presentation to the library managers. I was nervous, but I told myself, "No adult audience is scarier than thirty restless eighth graders." Whoops! Guess what I'm doing Tuesday and Thursday morning? School visits at the local junior high. We played library bingo last time, and to keep things fresh, I'm going for library jeopardy this time. I'll conclude with book talks of the following:

  • Magic or Madness by Justine Larbalestier
  • The Boy in the Basement by Susan Shaw
  • Heat by Mike Lupica
  • Sleeping Freshman Never Lie by David Lubar
  • "Bad Hair Day" by Lauren Myracle from the Such A Pretty Face short story collection
    AND
  • some yet-to-be-determined non-fiction

    Then if we have more time, after answering their questions, I'll ask them what they like to read so that I can stock the library with their favorites.
  • 1 comment:

    Lianna Kelly [aka HalfFull] said...

    Thanks Karen for putting yourself out there and getting this going. Even if only a couple of people benefited from this activity it would be worth it. Congrats on reaching 100! I've been "talking it up" at our staff meeting and with colleagues everywhere.